Calvern Farms Ltd. is a Hog Farm operation located in the rural area of Argyle, Manitoba. We currently have two (2) job openings for Swine Technician (NOC 8431).
Employment type: Permanent, full time (40 h/wk, 2 vacancies)
Business address: Box 89, Argyle MB, R0C 0B0
Work location: SW 14-14-1W, PR323 1099, Argyle MB, R0C 0B0
Salary/benefits: $ 15.63/hour. 10 days paid holidays. Wage reviewed at least annually and increase possible with good performance.
Reporting to the Farm Manager, the Swine Technician is responsible for the provision of quality care to all hogs housed in the facility, moving, shipping and receiving of the hogs to the facility, assist in the treatment of sick hogs and minor maintenance work as well as carrying out the day-to-day activities at the hog farm. Employees must possess an aptitude for the care and handling of animals, good communication skills and the ability to work as part of a highly productive team
• Feed and tend livestock (hogs) according to feeding program
• Provide water for animals and perform routine maintenance on waterers
• Monitor and maintain proper ventilation and temperature using automated control system
• Identify sows/gilts in heat and cycling for optimum breeding results
• Perform or assist in performing breeding activities of farm animals
• Detect disease and health problems in livestock
• Operate a high-pressure washer and ensure cleanliness and sanitation standards for the unit are met
• Maintenance of unit – ensure that all aspects are completed including but not limited to repairs, garbage disposal, rodent control, check bins & boot cleaning, manure management
• Follow safe manure management procedures when cleaning out manure pits
• Follow food safety and security and animal bio-security procedures
• Maintain or assist in the maintenance of facilities and farm infrastructure including cleaning stables, barns, barnyards and pens.
• Any other farm duties as required
• Some experience in the field to ensure proper handling of breeding stock, gilts, sows and boars
• High school completed, completion of post-secondary education in pork production is an asset
• The ability to communicate in English is required
• The applicant must be self-motivated, good work ethics, has strong problem-solving skills as well as ability to work independently and also as a team
• Rotational weekend and holiday work is required
Please send a cover letter, resume and two relevant references to: CVFM2021@gmail.com , Mailing address: Box 89, Argyle MB, R0C 0B0.
We thank you for your interest in working with us although only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.