TRIUMF is Canada’s particle accelerator centre, and one of the world’s leading laboratories for particle and nuclear physics and accelerator-based science. We are an international centre for discovery and innovation, advancing fundamental, applied, and interdisciplinary research for science, medicine, and business.
At TRIUMF, we’re passionate about accelerating discovery and innovation to improve lives and build a better world. Equity, diversity, and inclusion are integral to excellence and enhance our ability to create knowledge and opportunity for all. Together, we are committed to building an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the voices of our employees, students, partners, and the people and communities we serve.
We are currently searching for a Group Leader, Core Enterprise Applications in our IS&T department who will manage all aspects of the systems that enable users of TRIUMF core computing facilities to work in a secure, reliable, and efficient manner. Your other responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing road maps for in-scope applications and planning group projects on an annual basis to ensure applications remain relevant and supported
- Building and maintaining good working relationships across TRIUMF functions and personnel; working to identify computing needs and providing practical solutions across a diverse group of stakeholders
- Planning and managing workload and priorities of the Core Enterprise Applications group while acting as a coach and mentor to develop team members
- Managing the TRIUMF Windows Domain including many Windows servers, SQL databases, domain controllers, several data volumes, hundreds of users and hundreds of PCs and laptops
- Collaborating with IS&T staff on major infrastructure initiatives such as disaster recovery, cyber security, data storage and backups, virtual server hosting, cloud-based systems and the deployment and administration of additional services, including those running on Linux and MAC devices
- Ensuring the protection of TRIUMF assets through the shared management of various services such as virus protection, laptop encryption, server O/S patching and automated provisioning and de-provisioning of TRIUMF computing services
- Monitoring for and identifying potential risks to computing infrastructure and TRIUMF digital assets taking appropriate remediation or reporting actions
- Managing the procurement process for the acquisition and renewal of software and hardware assets
- Reviewing and managing financial aspects of the department including planning for various software licences purchases and renewals
As our ideal candidate, you will have extensive knowledge of general computing technologies, particularly with respect to MS-Windows operating systems. Your other qualifications include:
- Experience planning and managing hybrid applications environments including Microsoft Office 365, Workday and legacy applications
- A thorough understanding of all components of Windows Domain and Active Directory functions and administration
- A strong knowledge of IT infrastructure including networking, storage and backup systems and security and protection applications such as anti-virus, VPN and MFA
- Strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- The ability to work under pressure, multi-task, and assess, analyze, and resolve challenging IT issues
- Experience coaching and managing teams in a complex technical environment
Although not a requirement, familiarity with Linux server administration and DevOps would be considered an asset to your application.
Applicants must be legally able to work in Canada on a permanent basis (Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident).
TRIUMF is located on the south campus of the University of British Columbia, in the heart of Pacific Spirit Park in Vancouver, BC. We offer a competitive total compensation package, including comprehensive benefits, attractive salary, and an excellent opportunity to enhance your career portfolio in a high profile national research facility.
Learn more about how the amazing research and work we do at TRIUMF impacts humanity https://www.rarestdrug.com/
TRIUMF is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Your application package must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be accepted for consideration applications must be complete, and must include the following in one PDF file:
- Subject line: 836
- Employment Application Form
- Cover letter indicating salary expectations
Application closing date: May 29, 2021
It is important to note that due to operation necessity, TRIUMF will as needed, make hiring decisions that could pre-empt the application closing date. Accordingly, we suggest candidates submit expressions of interest in a timely fashion.