About Pacific Association of First Nations Women (PAFNW):
We envision a matriarchal community where all Indigenous women in BC are safe and respected with a sense of belonging and connection to cultural traditions. To bring our vision into reality, we advocate for systems change and provide Indigenous, culturally safe learning and other holistic supports to strengthen family systems and uplift Indigenous women.
The PAFNW has an exciting opportunity for a dynamic person to join our team. Reporting to the Lead Matriarch and our Senior Financial Consultant, the full-cycle bookkeeper performs financial duties including day-to-day bookkeeping (bank and credit card posting and reconciliations, accounts payable and receivable, etc.), payroll administration, month end close, some financial reporting – both internal and external, assisting with budgeting and variance reporting, leading contract management, records management, assisting with audit preparation and year end close preparation. Position also includes documentation and maintenance of financial procedures. Bookkeeper will be supervised, supported and trained, as needed, by our Senior Financial Consultant. As such, this is an excellent opportunity for on-the-job training toward higher level non-profit bookkeeping skills.
This is a full-time, permanent position with all hours to be worked at our office.
· Maintain records management system
· Ensure all accounting records are complete, current, accurate and recorded and filed in a manner reflecting professional and accepted bookkeeping and accounting practices.
· Complete all payroll administration functions and year-end tax reporting
· Complete monthly reconciliation for all bank and credit card accounts
· Liaise with project staff to support project & program budget management
· Assist Senior Financial Consultant in implementing new documenting, refining and implementing financial procedures and controls both in the finance department and throughout the Association
· Maintain contract management and financial management reporting system; ensure contract billing
· Prepare (in conjunction with our Senior Financial Consultant as needed) and provide periodic financial reports to Administration, Board and Program Coordinators.
· Assist with year-end reporting and creation of year-end working papers
· Assist in preparing for and managing audits and independent reviews; liaise with auditors
· Implement new policies, systems and procedures as they’re defined by management, to maintain efficient and effective financial operations and controls for the Association
· Any other related tasks as requested by the Lead Matriarch or Senior Financial Consultant.
Qualifications, Job Skills and Abilities:
· Minimum 2-year diploma in a related field with 5-10 years of experience in bookkeeping and payroll, preferably in both non-profit and for-profit environments;
· Excellent proficiency with QuickBooks Desktop accounting software required;
· Intimate knowledge of and experience with project/program-oriented non-profit or fund bookkeeping and accounting preferred;
· Experience in working with auditors and preparing for audits preferred;
· High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite – Excel in particular, required;
· Ability to organize workload based on priorities of Administration and Board required;
· Knowledge of non-profit community-based programs, funding sources and services an asset
· Proven experience as a full-cycle, non-profit, QuickBooks Desktop bookkeeper
· Maintaining a well-organized filing system and work area
· Ability to represent the Association to funders, partners, and community in a professional manner
· Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills verbal and written, including conflict resolution skills.
· monitor and confirm accurate posting of payables, reviewing discrepancies in comparison with the budget, and ensuring correct paperwork for all transactions;
· maintain accuracy of project accounting reports both for project manager usage and for purposes of funder reporting;
· seek improved efficiencies and enact improvements in consultation with the Senior Financial Consultant and/or the Lead Matriarch;
· prepare payroll on a semi-monthly and bi-weekly basis using QuickBooks;
· assist in preparation of Board Reports package for review by the Lead Matriarch and Board approval;
· monitor budget utilization and spending requirements throughout the year;
· responsible for annual year-end close preparation, including schedules and working papers;
· responsible for being audit ready and working with auditors throughout annual audit process;
· Some general administration tasks will also be required to be performed.
Rate of Pay: Salary based on experience, benefits after 3 months’ probation period.
To Apply: Applicants must include a cover letter, 3 References, Salary Expectations, and a Resume. Please forward to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the words “Bookkeeper Application” in your email subject line.
Expected start date: as soon as possible
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $23.00-$26.00 per hour
COVID-19 considerations: We have a policy in place. Sign in sheets and screening questions. Maximum 10 people in office. Mask wearing mandatory in common areas. Social distancing. Regular sanitization.